BETHUNE COLLEGE, KOLKATA .
BETHUNE COLLEGE, KOLKATA ADMISSION 2021: UG, FEES, CUTOFF, FORM, REGISTRATION.
- Bethune College is offering Provisional Admission from First Selection List (for Part A Candidates) in M.Sc. and MA courses.
- Bethune College is inviting online Applications for PG course in various subjects from Nov 2 to Nov 10, 2020. Candidates can apply through website of the University of Calicut by creating a CAPID.
Bethune College is situated in Kolkata in West Bengal state of India. Established in 1879, it is accredited from UGC, NAAC and it is affiliated to University of Calcutta, Kolkata. BETHUNE, Kolkata offers 24 courses across 2 streams namely Science, Arts and across 4 degrees like BSc, BA, MSc, MA.
Bethune College secured 50th rank nationally in NIRF Ranking under College category.
The college provides honours degree for eight subjects belonging to the Arts group whereas for the Science stream, it offers a total of nine honours subjects. All the honours subjects are accompanied by two distinct general subjects, which are mandatory to take up.
As far as PG courses are concerned, the college offers master degree in arts and science for a total of six subjects.
- All the undergraduate courses comprise of three years while the postgraduate course is of two years
- The college does not offer any general courses.
- Application for admission in both UG and PG courses can be submitted online by logging on to the college’s website i.e. www.bethuneadmissions.ac.in
- 22% and 6% of total number of seats in each honours subject are reserved for SC and ST candidates respectively. SC/ST/OBC-A/OBC-B candidates from only West Bengal are eligible for reservation benefits.
Bethune College Kolkata Admissions Highlights 2021
|Name of the Institution||Bethune College, Kolkata|
|Name of the University||University of Calcutta|
|University Type||State University|
|Basic Admission Criteria||Merit Based|
|Application Mode||Online & Offline|
|Registration Start date (Tentative)||May 31, 2021|
Bethune College Kolkata BA (Hons) and B.Sc (Hons) Admissions 2021
Bethune College Kolkata provides Bachelor of Arts (H) programmes with eight different specializations – Bengali, English, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Sanskrit, Hindi, and Psychology. Along with Arts, the college also offers Honours courses in Bachelor of Science as well. Students with science background can opt for any particular major subject from Botany, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Zoology, Statistics, Zoology and Psychology.
The total strength for every B.A. and B.Sc programme varies from subject to subject. The total number of seats present for B.A. (H) including all the eight specialization is 269. For B.Sc., the college has a total of 275 seats for the nine subjects its offers. All the honours programmes are of three year duration each.
Admission to the Bethune College Kolkata is strictly done on the basis of merit, i.e., the percentage of marks received by the candidate for her Higher Secondary or any equivalent exam. However, for admission to English and Bengali Honours courses, the candidate needs to appear for an entrance test.
|BA (Hons.)||Bengali||10+2 with 55% Marks with Bengali(60% Marks) and English (50% Marks) as compulsory subjects.|
|English||10+2 with 75% marks with English (85% Marks) as a compulsory subject.|
|History||10+2 with 55% marks with English (50% Marks) as a compulsory subject.|
|Philosophy||10+2 with 55% marks with Philosophy/Psychology (55% Marks) ,English (50% Marks) as compulsory subjects.|
|Political Science||10+2 with 55% marks with English (50% Marks) as a compulsory subject.|
|Sanskrit||10+2 with 50% marks with Sanskrit (55% Marks), Bengali ( 55% Marks) as compulsory subjects.|
|Hindi||10+2 with 50% marks with Hindi (50% Marks), English ( 45% Marks) as compulsory subjects.|
|Psychology||10+2 with 60% marks with English (60% Marks) as a compulsory subject.|
|B.Sc (Hons)||Botany||10+2 with Botany/ Biology with 65% marks, Chemistry with 55% marks and English with 50% marks.|
|Chemistry||10+2 with Chemistry-65%, Mathematics-60%, Physics50%, English-50% marks.|
|Computer Science||10+2 with Physics/ Computer Science/ Statistics-60% Mathematics – 60% English – 50% marks.|
Bethune College Kolkata B.A./B.Sc. Honours Selection Criteria :
- A candidate who has passed the Higher Secondary or its equivalent Examination (in 2018 or 2017) may apply for admission to the B.A./B.Sc. (Honours) courses.
- Candidates must have passed in English (at least 100 marks paper) in the previous qualifying examination.
- Candidates must secure pass marks in the General Subjects opted for (applicable to candidates who had the subjects at (10+2) level).
- Aggregate marks shall be calculated by adding the marks of the BEST FOUR subjects (at least 100 marks paper). Marks in compulsory Environmental Education / Studies shall not be taken into account for calculation of Aggregate marks.
- Admission will be conducted strictly on the basis of merit. Merit list will be prepared based on INDEX MARK for all categories of students.
- For admission a SC/ST candidate must secure not less than 25% and an OBC candidate must secure not less than 10% of index mark of the last admitted candidate in General category in each Honours subject.
Bethune College Kolkata M.A and M.Sc Admissions 2021
Bethune College offers two years semi-autonomous PG courses affiliated to the University of Calcutta. It provides M.A. degree with English and Bengali specialisations while M.Sc. degree is provided in Mathematics, Botany and Zoology. In addition, the college also provides M.A./M.Sc. degree in Applied Psychology.
Bethune College accepts admission for the PG courses on the basis of merit for 60% of seats reserved for students from Calcutta University (CU) only, while the selection for the rest 40% seats is done via admission test.
Key points to be noted:
- For 60% seats reserved for CU candidates, only students passing out as honours graduate from Calcutta University or any affiliated college, in not before 2016 can apply.
- Selection of students for the seats reserved for CU candidates will be done on the basis of honours marks obtained in the Graduation level.
- For rest 40% of seats, both CU and non-CU candidates can apply. The selection of these seats will be based on Admission Test.
|CU Candidates||Other University candidates|
|MA||English||16||50% Marks in Hons. Subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.||60% in Hons. subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.|
|Bengali||23||50% Marks in Hons. Subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.||55% in Hons. subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.|
|M.Sc||Mathematics||16||45% Marks in Hons. Subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories||55% in Hons. subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.|
|Botany||21||55% Marks in Hons. Subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.||60% in Hons. subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.|
|Zoology||21||55% Marks in Hons. Subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories||60% in Hons. subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.|
|MA/M.Sc||Applied Psychology||10||55% Marks in Hons. Subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.||60% in Hons. subject for General category and 40% in Hons. subject for Reserved categories.|
How to Apply for Bethune College Kolkata?
Admission process is conducted online through the website www.bethuneadmissions.ac.in. The candidates may submit forms online.
A candidate can apply for a maximum of three different Honours subjects. Separate application forms must be submitted for each Honours subject.
The procedure of admission to the three-year degree course starts after publication of the results of Higher Secondary Examination conducted by the West Bengal Council for Higher Secondary Education.
The merit list is published in the College website as well as on the College Notice Board.
M.A. and M.Sc. admission forms are available online after the publication of the results of Part III (1+1+1) B.A./B.Sc. (Hons.) examination conducted by Calcutta University. Candidates need to visit the website of University and create a CAPID. Using this CAPID, candidates need to register and pay the fees.
Bethune College Kolkata Scholarships
- Chhanda Mitra Memorial Scholarship: (initiated in 2010) Awarded to a student of Physics Department on the basis of merit cum means.
- Debebdranath Das Memorial Scholarship: (initiated in 2009) Awarded to a student of Zoology Department on merit cum means basis.
- Kamalabala Mukherjee Memorial Scholarship: (initiated in 1999) Awarded for standing first in Chemistry Honours in B.Sc. Examination from Bethune College.
- Nilmoni Mukherjee Scholarship: (initiated in 2002) Awarded for highest proficiency in Economics Honours in B.Sc. Part II & Part III Examination from Bethune College.
- Sarala Ghosh Memorial Scholarship: (initiated in 1996) Awarded to the students of Bethune College for securing highest marks in Arts and Science in the B.A./B.Sc Part I Examination from Bethune College.