What is NLAT?
NLAT stands for National Law Admission Test. NLAT exam stands cancelled and will no longer be held. This exam was introduced in 2020 to be conducted by the National Law School of India University (NLSIU) Bangalore for admissions to BA LLB (Hons) and LLM courses. NLSIU Bangalore is again a part of the CLAT Consortium and will continue to accept CLAT scores for admissions. Though NLAT 2020 was conducted but the result was not announced and CLAT scores were used for admissions.
The law school was not a part of CLAT Consortium in 2020 and was not to accept CLAT scores for admissions last year. The reason being that the CLAT 2020 selection process would take longer in concluding admissions and hence delay the new academic session 2020-21 at NLSIU Bangalore. The exam, NLAT 2020 was meant to complete the admission process at NLSIU Bangalore at the earliest.
September 21, 2020: NLAT cancelled, SC directs NLSIU Bangalore to use CLAT 2020 scores for admissions.
NLSIU NLAT Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria of NLSIU NLAT 2020 for admissions to undergraduate and postgraduate courses are as under:
BA LLB (Hons.) Course
- Candidates should have ‘secured unconditional pass’ in the class 12th or its equivalent examination.
- They should have secured 45% or equivalent in the qualifying examination if belonging to the General and PWD category
- Those belonging to SC/ST category need to secure at least 40% or equivalent grade.
- There is no age limit criteria for admissions to law courses at NLSIU Bangalore
For admissions to LLM course at NLSIU Bangalore, candidates need to fulfill the eligibility criteria as under:
- Candidates should hold a Bachelor Degree in Law or its equivalent degree with an ‘unconditional pass’ from a recognised educational institute.
- They should have secured at least 50% or equivalent grade in the qualifying examination.
- Those belonging to SC/ST category need to secure at least 45% marks in the qualifying examination.
|Exam Name||National Law Admission Test|
|Exam Mode||Home-based online mode|
|Exam Duration||45 minutes for UG courses40 minutes for PG courses|
NLAT 2020 Important Dates
The events and dates of NLSIU NLAT 2020 are as under:
|Starting of NLAT 2020 application process||03-Sep-2020|
|Last date of application submission||10-Sep-2020|
|NLAT 2020 online mock tests||09-Sep-2020 to 11-Sep-2020|
|NLAT 2020 exam day||12-Sep-2020|
|NLAT 2020 provisional answer key and inviting objections||12-Sep-2020 to 13-Sep-2020|
|Publishing of final answer key||15-Sep-2020|
|Declaration of results and provisional merit list||Cancelled|
|Starting of academic session 2020-21||18-Sep-2020|
NLAT 2020 Courses and Seat Intake
The law school will offer admissions to following courses on the basis of NLAT 2020 scores:
- BA LLB (Hons.) course
- LLM course with specialisations in Business Law and Human Rights Law
The seat matrix for the courses is as under:
|Category||UG seats||PG seats|
|General||93 seats||38 seats|
|SC||18 seats||8 seats|
|ST||09 seats||4 seats|
|Domicile of Karnataka||Up to 25% of total seats in each vertical reservation category, subject to a maximum of Thirteen (13) seats||0 seats|
|Total||120 seats||50 seats|