Commonly known as UGC NET, University Grants Commission (UGC) National Eligibility Test (NET) is an entrance test conducted to select the eligible candidates for the post of Assistant Professor for Colleges/Universities level lectureship and Junior Research Fellowship (JRF).
The UGC NET exam was initiated by UGC. Since December 2018, the UGC NET has been transferred to the National Testing Agency (NTA).
This exam takes place twice a year, that is, in June and December. The exam duration is 180 minutes (3 hours). The application and exam mode are both online.
- For Assistant Professor: There is no upeer age limit for application.
- For Junior Research Fellowship (JRF): The upper age limit is fixed at 30 years. (Age relaxation up to 5 years to candidates belonging OBC).
General Candidates: – INR 1000/-
For OBC Candidates: – INR 500/-
For SC/ST/PwD/Transgender Candidates – INR 250/-
To appear in the UGC NET exam, the candidates are required to apply online, following all the terms and conditions mentioned in the procedure.
The submission of the Online Application Form may be done by accessing the NTA website, i.e. www.net.nic.in only.
UGC NET exam is conducted in two papers (Paper-I and Paper-II) consisting of multiple-choice questions (MCQs) and all questions are compulsory.
|Paper||Pattern of Paper||Number of Questions||Marks||Duration|
|Paper-I||The questions will be generic in nature, intending to assess the teaching/research aptitude of the candidate.||50||100||03 hours (180 minutes)|
|Paper-II||This is based on the subject selected by the candidate and will assess domain knowledge.||100||200|
There are more than 80 colleges that accept UGC NET Score Card to provide these opportunities to become AP or JRF to the candidates. Here is the list of some of those colleges:
- University of Pune, Pune
- University of Lucknow, Lucknow
- University of Kota, M.B.S. Marg, Kota
- Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University, Kanpur
- Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Gauhati University, Guwahati
- Doon University, Motharawala Road, Kedarpur, P.P. Ajabpur, Dehradun
- University of Madras, Chennai
- Bangalore University, Bengaluru
- Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar University, Agra
- Maharishi Dayanand Saraswati University, Ajmer
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar